|American skunk-cabbage, swamp lantern||Status LU: absent. 1st record: n/a.|
|Amerikanesch Heckepëppchen||Status EU: established. IAS of EU concern (2016).|
|Lysichiton américain||RA: ISEIA: B0, Alert List. Harmonia+: 0,14|
|Amerikanischer Stinktierkohl||Wikipedia: | Wikispecies: | CABI|
|Moeraslantaarn||Back to the list of neophytes|
Report the species
→ Report Lysichiton americanus to the National Museum of Natural History.
Lysichiton americanus Hultén & H. St. John grows in the transition zone of terrestrial, semi-aquatic and aquatic habitats like swamps, fens, wet meadows, marshy and alluvial woodlands, along streams, riverbanks, lakesides and ponds. It has no specific site condition requirements except the presence of saturated organic soils. It is often found in protected semi-natural habitats. Lysichiton reproduces almost exclusively by seeds, which may be dispersed downstream along waterways. However, spread by natural means is not frequent and rather limited. L. americanus has become established locally in swamp forests and associated wetlands in the EPPO region (resulting most of the time from plantation in the site). After some years, its huge leaves build a dense layer excluding light from native species which are usually not adapted to extreme darkness. It can displace and cause local extinction of rare species of mosses and vascular plants (Carex echinata, Viola palustris, and orchids). (Branquart et al. 2010).
IAS of Union concern
In 2016, Lysichiton americanus Hultén & H. St. John was added to the list of invasive alien species of Union concern (Anonymous 2016) which implies that member states shall take all necessary steps to prevent it’s unintentional introduction or spread.
Status and distribution in Luxembourg
Lysichiton americanus Hultén & H. St. John has not yet been observed in Luxembourg (MNHNL, iNaturalist & GBIF 2020).
A0 (2+3+3+2) = Alert List. First assessed 24 January 2019 by Manou Pfeiffenschneider and Christian Ries.
Harmonia+ protocolOverall risk score 0,14 = (Overall Invasion score 0,34 x Overall Impact score 0,40) (Ries et al. 2020).
- Anonymous, 2016. Commission implementing regulation (EU) 2016/1141 of 13 July 2016 adopting a list of invasive alien species of Union concern pursuant to Regulation (EU) No 1143/2014 of the European Parliament and of the Council. Official Journal of the European Union L 189: 4-5.
- Branquart, E., I. Stiers, S. Vanderhoeven, W. Van Landuyt, F. Van Rossum & F. Verloove, 2010. Harmonia database: Lysichiton americanus Hultén & H. St. John. Harmonia version 1.2, Belgian Forum on Invasive Species. URL: http://ias.biodiversity.be [accessed on 2019-11-21]
- CABI, 2019. Lysichiton americanus. In: Invasive Species Compendium. Wallingford, UK: CAB International. URL: www.cabi.org/isc [accessed 2020-03-02]
- MNHNL, iNaturalist & GBIF, 2020. Lysichiton americanus in MNHNL-mdata, online portal combining species observation from Recorder-Lux, iNaturalist and GBIF. National Museum of Natural History, Luxembourg. URL: https://mdata.mnhn.lu [Accessed 2020-03-02]
- Ries, C., Y. Krippel & M. Pfeiffenschneider, 2020. Risk assessment after the Harmonia+ protocol of invasive alien vascular plant species in Luxembourg. Bull. Soc. Nat. luxemb. 122: 197-205. [PDF 132 KB]
Suggested citation of this webpage
Ries, C. & M. Pfeiffenschneider (Eds.), 2020. Lysichiton americanus Hultén & H. St. John. In: neobiota.lu - Invasive Alien Species in Luxembourg. National Museum of Natural History, Luxembourg. URL: https://neobiota.lu/lysichiton-americanus/ [Accessed 2020-11-30].