|Creeping water primrose||Status LU: absent. 1st record: n/a.|
|Krauchend Waasserprimmel||Status Eur.: established. 1st record: FR 1830s. 1 IAS of EU concern (2016).|
|Jussie rampante||RA: ISEIA: A0, Alert List. Harmonia+: 0,44|
|Kriechendes Heusenkraut||Wikipedia: | Wikispecies: | CABI|
|Kleine waterteunisbloem||Back to the list of neophytes|
Report the species
→ Report Ludwigia peploides to the National Museum of Natural History.
Ludwigia peploides (Kunth.) P.H. Raven is an amphibious plant living in ponds, lakes, ditches, channels and slow-running rivers as well as in humid meadows. It shows a high tolerance to different water levels. Its growth is favoured by water eutrophication but the plant is able to develop in oligotrophic environments. Both clonal and sexual reproductions contribute to plant spread across watersheds. Water primroses are highly detrimental to the environment in western Europe. They quickly develop and make very thick monospecific floating carpets at the surface of water bodies. They alter the physico-chemical quality of water (reduction of light and dissolved oxygen) and possess an allelopathic activity that influences the water quality throughout the year and reduces the germination and survival rates of other plant species. They outcompete most native water plants and create an anoxic environment detrimental to many plant and animal species. In addition, they modify water flow and cause wetland drying (Branquart et al. 2013).
IAS of Union concern
In 2016, Ludwigia peploides (Kunth.) P.H. Raven was added to the list of invasive alien species of Union concern (Anonymous 2016) which implies that member states shall take all necessary steps to prevent it’s unintentional introduction or spread.
Status and distribution in Luxembourg
Ludwigia peploides (Kunth.) P.H. Raven has not yet been observed in Luxembourg (MNHNL, iNaturalist & GBIF 2020).
A0 (3+3+2+3) = Alert List. First assessed 24 January 2019 by Manou Pfeiffenschneider and Christian Ries.
Harmonia+ protocolOverall risk score 0,44 = (Overall Invasion score 0,59 x Overall Impact score 0,75) (Ries et al. 2020).
- Anonymous, 2016. Commission implementing regulation (EU) 2016/1141 of 13 July 2016 adopting a list of invasive alien species of Union concern pursuant to Regulation (EU) No 1143/2014 of the European Parliament and of the Council. Official Journal of the European Union L 189: 4-5.
- Branquart, E., S. Vanderhoeven, W. Van Landuyt, F. Van Rossum & F. Verloove, 2013. Harmonia database: Ludwigia peploides (Kunth.) P.H. Raven. Harmonia version 1.2, Belgian Forum on Invasive Species. URL: http://ias.biodiversity.be [accessed on 2019-11-21]
- CABI, 2021. Ludwigia peploides. In: Invasive Species Compendium. Wallingford, UK: CAB International. URL: www.cabi.org/isc [accessed 2021-03-04]
- MNHNL, iNaturalist & GBIF, 2020. Ludwigia peploides in MNHNL-mdata, online portal combining species observation from Recorder-Lux, iNaturalist and GBIF. National Museum of Natural History, Luxembourg. URL: https://mdata.mnhn.lu [Accessed 2020-03-02]
- Ries, C., Y. Krippel & M. Pfeiffenschneider, 2020. Risk assessment after the Harmonia+ protocol of invasive alien vascular plant species in Luxembourg. Bull. Soc. Nat. luxemb. 122: 197-205. [PDF 132 KB]
Suggested citation of this webpage
Ries, C., M. Pfeiffenschneider & Y. Krippel (Eds.), 2021. Ludwigia peploides (Kunth.) P.H. Raven. In: neobiota.lu - Invasive Alien Species in Luxembourg. National Museum of Natural History, Luxembourg. URL: https://neobiota.lu/ludwigia-peploides/ [Accessed 2021-05-17].