|Raccoon||ISEIA: C3. IAS of Union concern.|
|Gewone wasbeer||Back to the list of vertebrates|
Report the species
→ Report Procyon lotor to the National Museum of Natural History.
Importance and distribution in Luxembourg
The species probably occurs in Luxembourg since the 1970s, mainly in the Oesling area (Becker-Krüll & Schaefer 2013). The first observation documented in the Recorder database dates from 1989. It was found in Munshausen (Municipality of Clervaux). The raccoon is considered a game animal in Luxembourg since 2011. Between 600 et 700 animals have been shot per year between 2011 and 2013 (Schley et al. 2014: 25).
In the last few years, different cases of people keeping raccoons as illegal pets became public in Luxembourg.
Raccoons show a preference for wetlands and old deciduous forests with hollow trees, often adjacent to water. The species is however able to adapt to a high diversity of environmental conditions, including urbanized areas. There is little evidence (but strong suspicion) of species displacement/extinction through predation or interspecific competition by raccoons in Western Europe. Food is often gathered on rubbish dumps or from bins, where the animal can be a nuisance to people. Raccoons are vectors for several diseases, including rabies. The raccoon is included in the appendix to the recommendation no 77 of the Council of Europe as a species which has proved to be a threat to biological diversity and for which eradication is strongly recommended (Source: http://ias.biodiversity.be/species/show/29).
ISEIA protocol: C3 (3+2+2+1) (Ries et al. 2014: 199).
Bibliography concerning Luxembourg
- Becker-Krüll, L. & P. Schaefer, 2013. Jagdbare Wildtierarten Luxemburgs. 96 pp. 1. Aufl. Hrsg. Naturverwaltung Luxemburg. (Order or download PDF)
- Pir, J.B. & L. Schley, 2015. Développement des connaissances sur la répartition et l’écologie des mammifères au Luxembourg entre 1990 et 2015. Bull. Soc. Nat. luxemb. 116: 437-455. [PDF 2,04 MB]
- Ries, C., M. Pfeiffenschneider, Engel, E., J.-C. Heidt & M. Lauff, 2014. Environmental impact assessment and black, watch and alert list classification after the ISEIA Protocol of vertebrates in Luxembourg. Bull. Soc. Nat. luxemb. 115: 195-201. [PDF 247 KB]
- Schley, L., C. Schanck, M. Schaul & C. Sinner, 2001. Neubürger und Heimkehrer unter den Wildtieren Luxemburgs. Beiträge zur Jagd- und Wildforschung 26: 141-154.
- Schley, L., R. Reding & S. Cellina, 2014. Bulletin technique de l’Administration de la nature et des forêts en matière de gestion de la faune sauvage et de chasse, n° 3, 72 pp. (Order or download PDF)
Suggested citation of this webpage
Ries, C. & M. Pfeiffenschneider (Eds.), 2019. Procyon lotor (Linnaeus, 1758). In: neobiota.lu - Invasive Alien Species in Luxembourg. URL: https://neobiota.lu/procyon-lotor/ [21.08.2019].