|Asian clam||Status LU: established. 1st record: 1996.|
|Kleng asiatesch Kuerfmuschel||Status EU: established.|
|Palourde asiatique||RA: ISEIA: A2, Black List. Harmonia+: n/a.|
|Asiatische Körbchenmuschel||Wikipedia: | Wikispecies: n/a (2020) | CABI|
|Aziatische korfmossel||Back to the list of invertebrates|
Report the species
→ Report Corbicula fluminea to the National Museum of Natural History.
Corbicula fluminea (O.F. Müller, 1774) is an inland water, filter-feeding bivalve native to southeast Asia but causing numerous problems in its new range of distribution in the Americas, Europe and Australia. C. fluminea spreads when it is attached to boats or carried in ballast water, used as bait, sold through the aquarium trade and carried with water currents. Its reproductive success and ability to spread rapidly has resulted in this species having one of the most rapid expansions of any non-native species in North America. Before the invasion of the zebra mussel Dreissena polymorpha, in North America, C. fluminea was described by McMahon (1983) as ‘one of the most important molluscan pest species ever introduced into the United States’. Aldridge and Muller (2001) review the potential impacts that the spread of C. fluminea may have on British industry and aquatic systems. In the DAISIE project, C. fluminea is listed on the 100 worst invasive species (CABI 2019).
Status and distribution in LuxembourgIn Luxembourg, Corbicula fluminea (O.F. Müller, 1774) was first documented by Klaus Groh on 17 June 1996 in the Moselle river in the municipality of Remich (MNHNL 2000-). It was expected by 1995 that the species would soon appear in the Moselle (Dhur & Massard 1995: 150).
Currently, 16 records are accessible through the MNHNL-mdata portal (MNHNL, iNaturalist & GBIF 2019).
A2 (3+3+3+3) = Black List (Ries et al. 2017: 68).
Not assessed yet.
- CABI, 2019. Corbicula fluminea (O.F. Müller, 1774). In: Invasive Species Compendium. Wallingford, UK: CAB International. URL: www.cabi.org/isc [accessed 2020-04-21]
- Dhur, G. & J.A. Massard, 1995. Étude historique et faunistique des Invertébrés immigrés ou introduits dans la Moselle luxembourgeoise et ses affluents. Bull. Soc. Nat. luxemb. 96: 127-156. [PDF 1896 KB]
- MNHNL, 2000-. Corbicula fluminea (O.F. Müller, 1774) in Recorder-Lux, database on the natural heritage of the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg. Musée national d’histoire naturelle, Luxembourg. URL: https://mdata.mnhn.lu [Accessed 2019-10-24]
- MNHNL, iNaturalist & GBIF, 2019. Corbicula fluminea (O.F. Müller, 1774) in MNHNL-mdata, online portal combining species observation from Recorder-Lux, iNaturalist and GBIF. National Museum of Natural History, Luxembourg. URL: https://mdata.mnhn.lu [Accessed 2019-10-24]
- Ries, C., A. Arendt, C. Braunert, S. Christian, A. Dohet, A. Frantz, G. Geimer, M. Hellers, J. A. Massard, X. Mestdagh, R. Proess, N. Schneider & M. Pfeiffenschneider, 2017. Environmental impact assessment and black, watch and alert list classification after the ISEIA Protocol of invertebrates in Luxembourg. Bull. Soc. Nat. luxemb. 119: 63-70. [PDF 360 KB]
Suggested citation of this webpage
Ries, C. & M. Pfeiffenschneider (Eds.), 2020. Corbicula fluminea (O.F. Müller, 1774). In: neobiota.lu - Invasive Alien Species in Luxembourg. National Museum of Natural History, Luxembourg. URL: https://neobiota.lu/corbicula-fluminea/ [Accessed 2020-10-20].