|Horse-chestnut leaf miner||Status LU: established. 1st record: 2003.|
|Päerdskäschtebam-Minnematt||Status EU: established.|
|Mineuse du marronnier||RA: ISEIA: C3. Harmonia+: n/a.|
|Rosskastanienminiermotte||Wikipedia: | Wikispecies: ||
|Paardenkastanjemineermot||Back to the list of invertebrates|
Report the species
→ Report Cameraria ohridella to the National Museum of Natural History.
Cameraria ohridella Deschka & Dimić, 1986 is a leaf-mining moth of the family Gracillariidae. The horse-chestnut leaf miner was first observed in North Macedonia in 1984, and was described as a new species in 1986. Its larvae are leaf miners on the common horse-chestnut (Aesculus hippocastanum). The horse-chestnut leafminer was first collected and inadvertently pressed in herbarium sheets by the botanist Theodor von Heldreich in central Greece in 1879. Cameraria ohridella causes significant damage, mainly late summer browning, to the appearance of horse-chestnut trees. Despite the poor appearance of these infested trees, there is no evidence that damage by the moth leads to tree death. Although horse-chestnut occurs naturally mostly above the 700–1000 m. contours the moth does well in well-watered places such as parks in cities and at low elevation but not well in the hotter parts of Europe e.g. Spain. Probably aided greatly by vehicular transport, the moth has attained a very rapid dispersal rate across Europe of 60 km per year (Wikipedia contributors 2020).
Status and distribution in Luxembourg
Nico Schneider observed and documented occurrences of Cameraria ohridella Deschka & Dimić, 1986 in 2003 in Luxembourg-Limpertsberg (Schneider 2003).
15 records of the horse-chestnut leaf miner are listed in the mdata.mnhn.lu portal ranging from 2007 to 2017 (MNHNL, iNaturalist & GBIF 2020).
C3 (3+1+1+1) (Ries et al. 2017: 68).
Not assessed yet.
- CABI, 2019. Cameraria ohridella. In: Invasive Species Compendium. Wallingford, UK: CAB International. URL: www.cabi.org/isc [accessed 2020-03-13]
- MNHNL, iNaturalist & GBIF, 2020. Cameraria ohridella in MNHNL-mdata, online portal combining species observation from Recorder-Lux, iNaturalist and GBIF. National Museum of Natural History, Luxembourg. URL: https://mdata.mnhn.lu [accessed 2020-03-13]
- Schneider, N., 2003. Auf Spurensuche. 21. Miniermotten. Regulus 9/03: 22.
- Ries, C., A. Arendt, C. Braunert, S. Christian, A. Dohet, A. Frantz, G. Geimer, M. Hellers, J. A. Massard, X. Mestdagh, R. Proess, N. Schneider & M. Pfeiffenschneider, 2017. Environmental impact assessment and black, watch and alert list classification after the ISEIA Protocol of invertebrates in Luxembourg. Bull. Soc. Nat. luxemb. 119: 63-70. [PDF 360 KB]
- Wikipedia contributors, 2020.’Horse-chestnut leaf miner’, Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia, 21 January 2020, 16:30 UTC, <https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Horse-chestnut_leaf_miner&oldid=936884582> [accessed 13 March 2020]
Suggested citation of this webpage
Ries, C. & M. Pfeiffenschneider (Eds.), 2020. Cameraria ohridella Deschka & Dimić, 1986. In: neobiota.lu - Invasive Alien Species in Luxembourg. National Museum of Natural History, Luxembourg. URL: https://neobiota.lu/cameraria-ohridella/ [Accessed 2020-07-15].