|Large-flowered waterweed||Status LU: established. 1st record: 2016.|
|Dichtbliedreg Waasserpescht||Status EU: established.|
|Égérie dense||RA: ISEIA: A1 – Black List. Harmonia+: 0,32|
|Dichtblättrige Wasserpest||Wikipedia: | Wikispecies: | CABI|
|Egeria (plant)||Back to the list of neophytes|
Report the species
→ Report Egeria densa to the National Museum of Natural History.
Egeria densa Planch. is a South American aquatic plant with a very wide ecological amplitude. It thrives in a variety of freshwater habitats: while it prefers flowing systems it may also be found in still waters. The species is not light-demanding and is able to develop in deep and turbid waters. The submerged perennial makes dense monospecific populations which often colonise whole water bodies, restrict water movement, cut off light, produce anoxic conditions and trap sediments in the system. The large-flowered water weed has been reported to outcompete native aquatic plants and to adversely affect fish communities (Branquart et al. 2013).
Status and distribution in LuxembourgEgeria densa Planch. was observed twice in 2016 in the Eisch valley East of Hobscheid (mdata.mnhn.lu) and in 2019 in Luxembourg City (MNHNL, iNaturalist & GBIF 2019).
A1 (2+3+3+3) = Black List. Updated on 22 June 2018 by Christian Ries and Manou Pfeiffenschneider. Former assessment: A0 (2+3+3+3) = Alert List (Ries et al. 2013: 18).
Harmonia+ protocolOverall risk score 0,32 = (Overall Invasion score 0,53 x Overall Impact score 0,62) (Ries et al. 2020).
- Branquart, E., I. Stiers, L. Triest, S. Vanderhoeven, W. Van Landuyt, F. Van Rossum & F. Verloove, 2013. Harmonia database: . Harmonia version 1.2, Belgian Forum on Invasive Species. URL: http://ias.biodiversity.be [accessed on 2020-02-28]
- CABI, 2019. Egeria densa. In: Invasive Species Compendium. Wallingford, UK: CAB International. URL: www.cabi.org/isc [accessed 2020-02-28]
- MNHNL, iNaturalist & GBIF, 2019. Egeria densa in MNHNL-mdata, online portal combining species observation from Recorder-Lux, iNaturalist and GBIF. National Museum of Natural History, Luxembourg. URL: https://mdata.mnhn.lu [Accessed 2020-02-28]
- Ries, C., Y. Krippel & M. Pfeiffenschneider, 2020. Risk assessment after the Harmonia+ protocol of invasive alien vascular plant species in Luxembourg. Bull. Soc. Nat. luxemb. 122: 197-205. [PDF 132 KB]
- Ries, C., Y. Krippel, M. Pfeiffenschneider & S. Schneider, 2013. Environmental impact assessment and black, watch and alert list classification after the ISEIA Protocol of non-native vascular plant species in Luxembourg. Bull. Soc. Nat. luxemb. 114: 15-21. [PDF 652 KB]
Suggested citation of this webpage
Ries, C. & M. Pfeiffenschneider (Eds.), 2021. Egeria densa Planch. In: neobiota.lu - Invasive Alien Species in Luxembourg. National Museum of Natural History, Luxembourg. URL: https://neobiota.lu/egeria-densa/ [Accessed 2021-01-20].