|Butterfly-bush, summer lilac||ISEIA: C2|
|Buddleia de David||Wikipedia:|
|Vlinderstruik||Back to the list of neophytes|
Report the species
→ Report Buddleja davidii to the National Museum of Natural History.
Importance and distribution in Luxembourg
In Luxembourg, the first documentation of Buddleja davidii in the wild dates from 5th August 1993 in Wintrange, Municipality of Schengen (Schmidt 1993). 60 observations of Buddleja davidii are documented in the Recorder database.
Summer lilac is widely cultivated in gardens across Luxembourg, from where it can easily make its way into the wild. The distribution map for Luxembourg shows that the species occurs most frequently in the south of the country, while no indications of Buddleja “in the wild” exist for the Oesling.
A survey along the national railway network of Luxembourg revealed that summer lilac is spreading along the railway tracks in the South West of the country and in the Moselle valley (Pfeiffenschneider et al. 2014a).
Buddleja davidii has been spreading continuously in recent years, especially in urban environments, on rocks and railways (Krippel et al. 2018: 60-61).
The butterfly-bush, is a shade-intolerant woody species. The deciduous shrub mostly thrives in various ruderal areas and disturbed grounds, which it colonises rapidly, but also grows in warm semi-natural habitats with well-drained soils like gravel shores, rock outcrops or open woodlands. Climate change is likely to trigger higher invasiveness in Europe during the next decades (Source: http://ias.biodiversity.be/species/show/44).
ISEIA protocol: C2 (2+2+2+2) (Ries et al. 2013: 18).
Bibliography concerning Luxembourg
- Krippel, Y., T. Helminger & G. Colling, 2018. Notes floristiques. Observations faites au Luxembourg (2016-2017). Bull. Soc. Nat. luxemb. 120: 57-76. [PDF 265 KB]
- Pfeiffenschneider, M., P. Gräser & C. Ries, 2014a. Distribution of selected neophytes along the national railway network of Luxembourg. Bull. Soc. Nat. luxemb. 115: 95-100. [PDF 1457 KB]
- Pfeiffenschneider, M., P. Gräser & C. Ries, 2014b. Distribution of selected neophytes along the main rivers of Luxembourg. Bull. Soc. Nat. luxemb. 115: 101-108. [PDF 3668 KB]
- Ries, C., Y. Krippel, M. Pfeiffenschneider & S. Schneider, 2013. Environmental impact assessment and black, watch and alert list classification after the ISEIA Protocol of non-native vascular plant species in Luxembourg. Bull. Soc. Nat. luxemb. 114: 15-21. [PDF 652 KB]
- Schmidt, G., 1993. Fiches de terrain, cartographie des biotopes de la commune de Remerschen. Fondation Oeko-Fonds, Luxembourg. Non published document.
Suggested citation of this webpage
Ries, C. & M. Pfeiffenschneider (Eds.), 2019. Buddleja davidii Franch. In: neobiota.lu - Invasive Alien Species in Luxembourg. URL: https://neobiota.lu/buddleja-davidii/ [23.01.2019].